There’s nothing fun about back fat rolls. Women who have them usually want to find a way to get rid of them. Some even worry that it isn’t normal to have fat on their back. In fact, there’s nothing abnormal about fat rolls in this area. Bodies naturally store fat, and having fat on your back doesn’t mean you’re obese. Even relatively slim women may experience back rolls. However, although rolls of fat on the back are common, especially in women, they don’t create a desirable body shape. It isn’t surprising then that there is such a drive to eliminate them.
Why Do I Have Rolls of Back Fat?
You may have rolls of back fat due to several factors. Some of the most common reasons for back fat include:
- Aging – the skin loses elasticity and begins to sag as we get older.
- Obesity – excess fat can accumulate on the back as well as on other areas of the body.
- Wearing too-tight clothing – excessively tight underwear can push fat over and under the bra line.
- Hormonal changes – during periods when hormones are shifting, metabolic rates can change, and fat storage can change too.
- Living an inactive lifestyle – living a sedentary life can lead to poor muscle tone in the back.
- Genetics – our genes determine where our bodies distribute and accumulate fat. Some people’s genes determine that they accumulate more fat on their backs.
Are Back Rolls Dangerous?
Back rolls of fat aren’t medically dangerous. However, that doesn’t mean that they’re aesthetically appealing. For some sufferers, it can lead to emotional distress. If you try and fail to get rid of your back fat, you may find that you lack self-confidence. That can be difficult to deal with and can cause mental health problems in the long run.
Can I Get Rid of Back Fat Naturally?
If you’re obese in general, adopting a healthy lifestyle can help. Losing weight overall should help slim the back as well as all other areas of the body. It’s important to recognize, though, that spot-reducing any area of fat is impossible. It’s quite possible to lose weight in other areas, but the back may remain stubbornly large. It’s especially hard to lose weight on the back because it’s difficult to exercise this area specifically because it is difficult to target muscle groups in the back. Therefore, even slim people can suffer from back rolls. If you’re otherwise slim but have stubborn back fat, you may need surgery to address the problem.
Can Surgery Help with Fat Rolls on The Back?
If you’re unhappy with fat rolls on your back, surgery is the ideal solution. Back liposuction is the answer to getting rid of excess back fat. The surgeon performs the procedure under a local anesthetic, so it’s a safer option. They make incisions in the back and use a narrow tube or cannula to break up and remove the fat. They then sculpt the back to achieve a slimmer contour, eliminating back rolls.
To find out more about getting rid of your back fat rolls with liposuction, contact Dr. Su at ArtLipo now.