Many patients question whether they should bring a friend or family member to their Florida cosmetic surgery consultations. In fact, at Artlipo, itâ€™s one of the most common questions that our patients ask us. The answer is, yes, youâ€™re welcome to bring your partner, relative or friend with you. At the end of the day, itâ€™s really your own choice if you want someone to come with you. The only exception to this is if youâ€™re under 18. In that case, youâ€™ll need to bring your legal guardian or parent to your consultation.
There are, however, a few downsides to consider if youâ€™re planning to bring somebody with you. Remember, you should only have cosmetic surgery to please yourself, not someone else. You should never try to meet another personâ€™s expectations when it comes to your appearance. If youâ€™re bringing someone with you to get his or her approval, itâ€™s best to come alone.
Here are a few advantages and disadvantages of bringing a companion with you to your consultation.
The Advantages to Bringing A Companion
- Having an extra set of eyes and ears may be helpful. Your cosmetic surgery consultation may be nerve-wracking and overwhelming. Therefore, if you donâ€™t have questions on hand and if you donâ€™t take notes, you might forget key details. If you bring a companion, he or she may bring up something you didnâ€™t remember to ask the surgeon. He or she may also be able to remember the extra things the surgeon said that you didnâ€™t write down.
- The person youâ€™re bringing will be caring for you post-op. Then, this is a good opportunity for him or her to learn more. He or she will be able to find out about the surgery and the recovery process. He or she will also learn more about how he or she can offer help and support.
- If youâ€™re worried about the consultation, a companion may make it a more comfortable and productive experience. You may be less stressed with someone you know and trust there.
- If youâ€™re bringing someone who has reservations about cosmetic surgery, this consultation may put his or her mind at rest. He or she will have the opportunity to ask questions so the surgeon can address any concerns he or she has.
What Are the Downsides?
- If you have someone else in the room, you may not tell the surgeon everything you should. You may censor information about your personal issues or medical history if youâ€™re uncomfortable disclosing any details.
- If you bring an overbearing companion, he or she may dominate the consultation. He or she may end up expressing his or her own opinions and wishes. This will overshadow what you want to say.
- You may want to keep your procedure a secret. If youâ€™re bringing a companion, he or she may inadvertently reveal that youâ€™re having surgery.
- Donâ€™t bring too many people to the consultation. One companion is sufficient. Otherwise, you could end up with too many distractions and competing opinions.
Ready to Arrange Your Florida Cosmetic Surgery?
If youâ€™ve decided whether to bring a friend or relative, itâ€™s time to arrange your Florida cosmetic surgery. Here at Artlipo, we look forward to seeing you for your consultation, with or without a trusted companion.