Do you have saggy or excess skin on your neck? If so, youâ€™re suffering from jowls. Most people develop jowls as part of the natural aging process as skin reduces in elasticity. However, there are several factors, such as stress, lifestyle choices, and heredity, that cause jowls at a younger age. Overall, however, the main cause of jowl development is aging. When the skin gets older, it begins to lose collagen, elastin, and fat. It also becomes thinner and drier. This makes it harder to keep its shape. When the skin is less full and resilient, it becomes vulnerable to the pull of gravity and starts to sag. When this happens around the mouth and cheeks, the result is jowls. Many people who notice this problem developing seek jowl removal to reduce the signs of aging.
What Are the Risks of Developing Jowls?
If you have any of the following risk factors, you could be more prone to developing jowls:
- Repeated sunburn
- Chronic or excessive alcohol use
- Severe or chronic dehydration
- A diet low in healthy fats, nutrients, and antioxidants
- Poor hygiene habits
- Skin allergens
- Habits that overuse the muscles in the jowl area, such as chewing gum or frowning
- Too little exercise
- Aggressive skin cleansing
- Injuries or trauma to the jaw and facial skin and muscles
- Rapid or extreme weight loss
- Family history
- Chronic or severe illness
Are There Any Jowl Removal Exercises?
There has been some research that shows performing facial exercises could reduce jowls. You must repeat exercises for the muscles in the face up to 12 times. A person should perform them several times a day. And, he or she should hold each position for up to 20 seconds.
Some popular exercises to try include:
- Yawning to open your mouth as much as possible before closing it slowly. You should avoid touching your teeth together.
- Puckering the lips.
- Blowing up the cheeks.
- Chewing while holding your head tilted upward.
- Grinning widely while tilting your head down and up.
- Humming while keeping your tongue against the top of your mouth.
- Saying â€śoâ€ť and â€śeâ€ť with exaggerated mouth movements.
Are There Any Other Options for Jowl Removal?
Although jowls are harmless, they can cause poor self-confidence. For this reason, there are several options available to treat them. These include:
- Fillers â€“ You inject these compounds into your jowls and cheeks and fill the areas of lost fat. This lifts your skin around your mouth and jawline. It produces a much fuller appearance. You can find fillers made of hyaluronic acid, polymethyl methacrylate, poly-l-lactic acid, silicone or calcium hydroxyapatite. Fillers last for different lengths of time depending on your facial structure, jowls severity, and filler dosage. They can last up to four years and are most effective in those ages 30 to 50.
- A neck lift â€“ This involves a surgeon cutting under the patientâ€™s chin and along the face. Then, the surgeon sculpts and repositions the tissues and fat in the cheeks and jaw. He or she removes excess skin and tightens the muscles. There is quite a long period of recovery from this treatment. It may also result in infection or scarring.
- Ultherapy â€“ This treatment uses ultrasound to stimulate collagen production in the skinâ€™s deepest layers. A patient only needs to attend a single session and there is no downtime. The extra firmness and tightness of the skin last for a few months.
- Radiotherapy — This treatment uses intense heat to help stimulate the elastin and collagen fibers under the skin. They recoil and cause the skin to become tighter. It is necessary to perform several sessions of this procedure during the year to maintain the results.
- Laser therapy â€“ While these treatments are becoming popular, there have been few studies done to show their effectiveness.
There are some other options used by those who want to improve their jowl appearance. They include:
- Chemical peels
- Lymphatic or facial massage
- Face yoga
- Face building
- Jowl Removal exercises
Liposuction for Jowl Removal
One highly effective option to treat jowls is to have facial liposuction. A skilled cosmetic surgeon can remove excess fat around the jawline, chin, and neck for a more sculpted look. While very few cosmetic surgeons are able to perform this technique, Dr. Su at Artlipo is an expert. He can produce impressive results and make you look younger and slimmer. The treatment is also very safe and very speedy. In addition, there is minimal downtime.
Can You Prevent Jowls?
There isnâ€™t a tried-and-tested technique to prevent jowls. However, if you make the right lifestyle choices, you can reduce yours in severity. You should exercise regularly and stay hydrated, always wear sunscreen and moisturizers, and avoid habits that affect your jaw muscles. You should also avoid smoking and do regular facial exercises.
Although jowls are pretty harmless, they can cause problems with self-esteem. While most people develop jowls with age, they can reduce them with the right treatment. Liposuction for jowl removal is the best option for an instantly slimmer and younger appearance.